Introduction to Feeding Strategies
Appropriate feeding strategies are integral to supporting children’s growth, development, and healthy weight. When adults use appropriate feeding strategies they reinforce children’s internal cues of hunger and fullness and children develop autonomy around mealtime and eating. Feeding strategies can help children develop a positive relationship with food that will last their lifetime.
Child care providers can use appropriate feeding strategies with young children to create enjoyable and pleasant mealtimes. Further, when appropriate feeding strategies are used during meals the mealtime provides learning opportunities and experiences that children remember forever!
- Fast Forward*
- Picky Eater*
- New Foods - Five Senses *
- When Adults Eat With Children*
- Why Are Children Reluctant to Try New Foods - Comments From Susan Johnson*
- Do Not Use a One Bite Rule*
- Strategies for New Foods*
- Phrases that Help/Hinder*
- Overcoming Picky Eating*